Sunday, August 3, 2014

Clauses With Tenses - Daily English Grammar and Vocabulary Lessons - Practice Conversation in English


Important Note: Most Definitions and Examples on this page have been translated into Urdu Language. People who don't speak Urdu should not pay attention to these translations. Urdu Translations have been highlighted in yellow colour.







Introduction to Clauses
We use clauses to show which action happened first and which action happened later, or which actions are happening together. We use different or sometimes the same tenses according to situations. (Urdu Meaning: Hum Clauses Istemal Karte Hen Ye Zahir Karne K Liye K Kon Sa Kaam Pehle Hoa Orr Kon Sa Kaam Baad Mai Hoa, Ya Phir Kon Se 2 Kaam Ek Sath Ho Rahe Hen. Hum Clauses K Sath 2 Alag Alag Tenses Bhi Istemal Karte Hen Situations Ko Dekhte Hoye)

Chart and Examples:
Note: the Urdu Translations of tenses might vary with the clauses in some cases. (Urdu Meaning: Clauses K Istemal K Sath Tenses Ka Urdu Tarjuma Badal Sakta Hai Kuch Cases Mai) 


BEFORE-CLAUSE
(Urdu Meaning: Koi Kaam Karne Se Pehle)
before you sleep (present simple tense)
before you slept (past simple tense)

For example:
  • I will change the bed sheet before you sleep. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Apke Sone Se Pehle Bister Ki Chadar Badal Don Ga/Gi)
  • I changed the bed sheet before you slept. (Urdu Meaning: Mene Apke Sone Se Pehle Bister Ki Chadar Badali Thi)
  • Please call me before you sign the document. (Urdu Meaning: Bara-e-Meherbani Uss Document Per Sign Karne Se Pehle Mujhe Call Kar Lena)
  • You did not call me before you signed that document. (Urdu Meaning: Uss Document Per Sign Karne Se Pehle Apne Mujhe Call Nahi Ki Thi)
  • Will you come back home before it is dark? (Urdu Meaning: Kiya Ap Andhera Hone Se Pehle Ghar Wapis Ajao Ge?)
  • I always take my wallet with me before I go out. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Hamesha Bahir Jane Se Pehle Apna Batwa Le Leta Hon)
  • I took (or had taken) my wallet with me before I went out. (Urdu Meaning: Mene Bahir Jane Se Pehle Apna Batwa Le Liya Tha)
  • We must apologize to her before it is too late. (Urdu Meaning: Hame Unse Maafi Mangi Pare Gi Isse Pehle K Der Hojaye)


AFTER-CLAUSE
(Urdu Meaning: Koi Kaam Karne K Baad)
after you eat (present simple tense)
after you have eaten (present perfect tense)
after you ate (past simple tense)

For example:
Note: We can use either Present Simple or Present perfect with the AFTER-CLAUSE. The meanings will be the same. (Urdu Meaning: Hum AFTER-CLAUSE K Sath Present Simple Ya Present Perfect Tense Mai Se Koi Bhi Tense Istemal Karsakte Hen. Dono Ka Matlab Ek Hi Hai)
  • After you watch (or after you have watched) TV, please read this letter. (Urdu Meaning: TV Dekhne K Baad Bara-e-Meherbani Iss Letter Ko Parh Lijiye Ga)
  • I read that letter after I watched TV. (Urdu Meaning: TV Dekhne K Baad Mene Woh Letter Parha Tha)
  • I usually have a walk in the park after I have (or after I have had) a meal. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Khana Khane K Baad Amoman Park Mai Chakar Lagata/Lagati Hon)
  • I used to have a walk in the park after I had a meal. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Khana Khane K Baad Park Mai Chakar Lagata/Lagati Thi)
  • We are going to join Navy after our college is over. (Urdu Meaning: Hamare College Ki Parhaye Khatam Hone K Baad Hum Navy Join Karne Jarahe Hen)
  • We were going to join Navy after our college was over, our teacher advised us to join Army. (Urdu Meaning: Hamare College Ki Parhaye Khatam Hone K Baad Hum Navy Join Karne Jarahe The Magar Hamare Teacher Ne Huame Army Join Karne Ka Mashwara Diya Tha)
  • I will not use any lotion after I shave (or after I have shaved) my mustache. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Apni Monchen Saaf Karne K Baad Koi Lotion Istemal Nahi Karon Ga)
  • I did not use any lotion after I shaved my mustache. (Urdu Meaning: Mene Apni Monchen Saaf Karne K Baad Koi Lotion Istemal Nahi Kia Tha)


AS SOON AS-CLAUSE
(Urdu Meaning: Jese Hi Koi Kaam Ho Jaye)
as soon as you see him (present simple tense)
as soon as you have seen him (present perfect tense)
as soon as you saw him (past simple tense)

For example:
Note: We can use either Present Simple or Present perfect with the AS SOON AS-CLAUSE. The meanings will be the same. (Urdu Meaning: Hum AS SOON AS-CLAUSE K Sath Present Simple or Present Perfect Mai Se Koi Bhi Tense Istemal Karsakte Hen. Dono Ka Matlab Ek Hi Hai)
  • We should stop eating and drinking as soon as we hear (or as soon as we have heard) Azaan in the month of Ramadan. (Urdu Meaning: Ramadan K Mahine Mai Jesi Hi Hum Azaan Sune, Hume Khana Peena Chorh Dena Chahiye)
  • Will the door no.3 open as soon as I press (or as soon as I have pressed) the green button? (Urdu Meaning: Kia Jesi Hi Mai Green Button Ko Dabaon Ga, Door no.3 Khul Jaye Ga?)
  • The children ran out of the classroom as soon as the bell rang. (Urdu Meaning: Jese Hi Ghanti Baji Thi, Bache Classroom Se Bahir Bhage The)
  • They informed (or had informed) me as soon as they saw my cat. (Urdu Meaning: Unhon Ne Jese Hi Meri Billi Dekhi, Unhon Ne Mujhe Bataya)


WHEN-CLAUSE (1)
(Urdu Meaning: Jab Koi Kaam Khatam Hojaye. “WHEN-CLAUSE” Yahan Pe “AFTER-CLAUSE” K Tor Per Istemal Ho Raha Hai)
when my parcel has arrived (present perfect tense)
when my parcel arrives (present simple tense)
when my parcel arrived (past simple tense)

For example:
  • We may go on a short holiday when our father has arrived (or when our father arrives). (Urdu Meaning: Hum Shayed Ek Mukhtasir Chutti Pe Jayen Ge, Jab Hamare Abbu Ajayen Ge)
  • We went on a short holiday when we our father arrived. (Urdu Meaning: Jab Hamare Abbu Aye The, Hum Ek Mukhtasir Chutti Pe Gaye The)
  • I always take medicine when I am sick. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Hamesha Dawaye Khata Hon Jab Mai Bimar Hota Hon)
  • I took medicine a couple of times when I was sick last week. (Urdu Meaning: Mene Kafi Dafa Dawaye Khaye Thi Jab Mai Pichle Hafte Bimar Tha)
  • They will be able to pay off their debts when they have sold (or when they sell) their home. (Urdu Meaning: Jab Woh Loog Apna Ghar Bech Denge, To Woh Apna Udhaar Chuka Saken Ge)
  • They paid off their debts when they sold their home. (Urdu Meaning: Unhon Ne Apna Udhar Chukaya Tha Jab Unhon Ne Apna Ghar Becha Tha)


WHILE-CLAUSE
WHEN-CLAUSE (2)
(Urdu Meaning: 2 Kaam Ek Sath Horahe Hon)
while I am writing the letter (present continuous tense)
while I was writing the letter (past continuous tense)
when I am writing the letter (present continuous tense)
when I was writing the letter (past continuous tense)

For example:
  • Can I use my dictionary while/when I am writing the letter? (Urdu Meaning: Kiya Mai Letter Likhte Hoye Apni Dictionary Istemal Karsakta/Karsakti Hon?)
  • I was listening to radio while/when Lee was washing the clothes. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Radio Sun Raha Tha Jab Lee Kapre Dho Raha Tha)
  • We will be taking pictures while/when we are travelling on boat. (Urdu Meaning: Hum Tasweeren Khech Rahe Honge Jab Hum Boat Per Safar Karen Ge)
  • You can use my computer while/when I am away. (Urdu Meaning: Ap Mera Computer Istemal Karsakte Hen Jab Mai Bahir Hon Ga)
  • Always remember to check warranty card when/while you are buying a new mobile phone. (Urdu Meaning: Hamesha Warranty Card Check Karna Yaad Rakhen Jab Ap Naya Mobile Phone Khareden Ge)
  • He remembered to check the warranty card when/while he was buying the new mobile phone. (Urdu Meaning: Usne Warranty Card Check Karna Yaad Rakha Jab Woh Naya Mobile Phone Khared Raha Tha)
  • Suddenly, a rabbit came in front of my car when/while I was driving. (Urdu Meaning: Achanak Ek Khargosh Meri Gari K Samne Agya Tha Jab Mai Gari Chala Raha/Rahi Thi)
  • Will the rice grow more when it is raining in June this year? (Urdu Meaning: Kiya Mazeed Chawal Peda Honge Jab Iss Saal June Mai Barish Hogi?)


Note: In some cases, we can use Present Simple Tense here as well. (Urdu Meaning: Kuch Cases Mai Hum Yahan Pe Present Simple Tense Bhi Istemal Karsakte Hen)

For example:
Will the rice grow more when it is rains in June this year?
Remember to check the warranty card when you buy a new mobile phone.

UNTIL-CLAUSE
(Urdu Meaning: Jab Tak Koi Kaam Na Hojaye)
until I tell you (present simple tense)
until I told you (past simple tense)

For example:
  • Do not move until I tell you. (Urdu Meaning: Ap Yahan Se Hilna Nahi Jab Tak Mai Ap Ko Bolon Na)
  • We will not accept your application until you show your passport. (Urdu Meaning: Hum Apki Application Qabool Nahi Karen Ge Jab Tak Ap Apna Passport Nahi Dikhaen Ge)


BY THE TIME-CLAUSE
(Urdu Meaning: Woh Waqt Ane Se Pehle Kaam Khatam Hojana)
by the time we arrive (present simple tense)
by the time we arrived (past simple tense)

For example:
They will have sold all the tickets by the time we reach the cinema. (Urdu Meaning: Jab Tak Hum Cinema Pohonchen Ge, Woh Sari Tickets Bech Chuke Honge)
By the time we brought the patient to the hospital, he had already died on the way. (Urdu Meaning: Jab Tak Hum Mareez Ko Hospital Le Kar Aye The, Woh Raste Mai Pehle Hi Dum Torr Chuka Tha)

Remember that never use “WILL, WOULD and IF” with any of these clauses. (Urdu Meaning: Yad Rakhen K Inn Clauses K Sath Kabhi Bhi “WILL, WOULD Orr IF” Istemal Nahi Karen)


A Little Confusion About WHEN-CLAUSE
See and compare these examples (Urdu Meaning: Inn Examples Ko Gor Se Dekhen)
Please let me know when they leave (two actions will happen together). (Urdu Meaning: Bara-e-Meherbani Mujhe Bata Dena Jab Woh Jarahe Hon, Yahan 2 Kaam Ek Sath Hon Ge)
Please let me know when they have left (one action will happen after another). (Urdu Meaning: Bara-e-Meherbani Mujhe Bata Dena Jab Woh Ja Chuke Hon, Yahan Ek 1 Kaam K Baad Dosra Kaam Ho Ga)

You can clearly see the difference. So I would recommend that if you want to use WHEN-CLAUSE for two actions that will happen simultaneously (as in the 1st example), use Present Continuous Tense instead of Present Simple Tense. Keep using Present Perfect Tense (as in the 2nd example) to show that two actions will happen one after the other. (Urdu Meaning: Kabhi Kabhi WHEN-CLAUSE Istemal Karte Hoye Ek Confusion Hoti Hai Kiyon K WHEN-CLAUSE Hum 2 Surat Mai Istemal Karte Hen. Pehli Surat Ye Hai K Jab 2 Kaam Ek Sath Horahe Hon (Jese K While-Clause Mai Hota Hai), Orr Dosri Surat Ye Hai K Ek Kaam Khatam Hone K Baad Dosra Kaam Ho (Jese K After-Clause Mai Hota Hai). Isliye Jab Bhi Ap Ko WHEN-CLAUSE ko AFTER-CLAUSE Ki Tarah Istemaal Karna Ho To Behtar Hoga K Ap WHEN-CLAUSE K Sath Sirf Present Perfect Tense Hi Istemal Karen. Orr Agar WHEN-CLAUSE Ko WHILE-CLAUSE Ki Tarah Istemaal Karna Ho To Sirf Present Continuous Tense Istemal Karen. Ye Lazmi Nahi Hai, Sirf Ek Mashwara Hai)

Please let me know when they leaving. (Present Continuous Tense)
Please let me know when they have left. (Present Perfect Tense)









These notes have been conceived and prepared  by Sir Shahzad Ahmed.
Contact me: acquiescent.writer@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. A great deal of valuable and importance guidance allocated by you. Certainly, this might be beneficial for a majority of apprentices looking for resources to enhance their English language. Keep up with this commendable job and continue imparting your considerable insights.
    English practice App | English speaking app

    ReplyDelete