Saturday, August 2, 2014

State Verbs and Action Verbs - Daily English Grammar and Vocabulary Lessons - Practice Conversation in English


Important Note: Most Definitions and Examples on this page have been translated into Urdu Language. People who don't speak Urdu should not pay attention to these translations. Urdu Translations have been highlighted in yellow colour.






State Verbs and Action Verbs

Introduction:
State verbs are those verbs which cannot be normally used in continuous form. We mostly use first form or 2nd form of verb for state verbs. (Urdu Meaning: State Verbs Woh Verbs Hen Jin Ko Ham Amoman Continuous Form Mai Istemal Nahi Karte. State Verbs Zyadah Tar 1st ya 2nd Form K Verbs Hote Hen)

List of some commonly used state verbs:
I think (that)
I realize (that)
I agree/disagree (that)
I believe (that)
I know (that)
I expect (that)
I remember (that)
I promise (that)
I understand (that)
I mean to say (that)
I regret (that)
I prefer to
I love to
I like to
Belong to
Consist of
Depend on
Deserve
Include
Know
Need
Own
Request
Seem
Smell
Taste
Want
Weigh

Examples:
State Verbs (1st form of verb)
For Present Time
State Verbs (2nd form of verb)
For Past Time
I think (that) he is your brother. (Urdu Meaning: Mere Khiyal Hai K Woh Apka Bhai Hai)

I think they will come. (Urdu Meaning: Mere Khiyal Hai K Woh Loog Ayen Ge)
I thought (that) he was your brother. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Smjha Tha K Woh Apka Bhai Tha)

I thought they would come. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Samjha That K Woh Loog Ayen Ge)
He wants to eat some candies. (Urdu Meaning: Woh Kuch Candies Khana Chahta Hai)
He wanted to eat some candies. (Urdu Meaning: Woh Kuch Candies Khana Chahta Tha)
I know a lot about the history of Africa. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Africa Ki Tareekh K Bare Mai Kafi Janta/Janti Hon)

I know (that) it is a hard job. (Urdu Meaning: Mujhe Maloom Hai K Ye Kaam Mushkil Hai)
I knew a lot about the history of Africa. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Africa Ki Tareekh K Bare Mai Kafi Janta Tha/Janti Thi)

I knew (that) it was a hard job. (Urdu Meaning: Mujhe Maloom Tha K Ye Kaam Mushkil Tha)
Mr. Smith owns this land. (Urdu Meaning: Mr. Smith Iss Zameen Ki Malkiyat Rakhte Hen)
Mr. Smith owned that land. (Urdu Meaning: Mr. Smith Uss Zameen Ki Malkiyat Rakhte The)
Do you promise (that) you will not swim in the sea? (Urdu Meaning: Kiya Ap Wada Karte Hen K Ap Samandar Mai Nahi Teren Ge?)
Did you promise (that) you would not swim in the sea? (Urdu Meaning: Kiya Ap Wada Kia Tha K Ap Samandar Mai Nahi Teren Ge?)
The table does not weigh too much. (Urdu Meaning: Iss Table Ka Wazan Zyadah Nahi Hai)
The table did not weigh too much. (Urdu Meaning: Iss Table Ka Wazan Zyadah Nahi Tha)
I agree (that) we should obey the law. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Itefaq Karta/Karti Hon K Hame Qanon Per Chalna Chahiye)
I agreed (that) we should obey the law. (Urdu Meaning: Mene Itefaq Kia Tha K Hame Qanon Per Chalna Chahiye)
Does this coat fits you well? (Urdu Meaning: Kia Ye Coat Apko Fit Araha Hai?)
Did that coat fit you well? (Urdu Meaning: Kia Woh Coat Apko Fit Araha Tha?)
They seem to be confused. (Urdu Meaning: Woh Loog Pareshan Lag Rahe Hen)
They seemed to be confused. (Urdu Meaning: Woh Loog Pareshan Lag Rahe The)

We can use some state verbs as continuous verbs but their meanings will be different. (Urdu Meaning: Kuch State Verbs Ko Hum Continuous Verbs Mai Bhi Istemal Karsakte Hen, Lekin Phir Unke Matlab Change Ho Jayen Ge)

For example:
(THINK as a State Verb): I think (that) Germany will win the football world cup. (Urdu Meaning: Mera Khiyal Hai K Germany Football World Cup Jeete Ga)
(THINK as an Action Verb): I am thinking of travelling to Germany. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Germany Ki Ser Karne Ka Soch Raha/Rahi Hon)
(HAVE as a State Verb): I have a car(Urdu Meaning: Mere Pas Ek Gari Hai)
(HAVE as an Action Verb): I am having dinner at the moment(Urdu Meaning: Mai Iss Waqt Raat Ka Khana Kha Raha/Rahi Hon)
(FIT as a State Verb): This belt does not fit me.  (Urdu Meaning: Ye Belt Mujhe Sahi Nahi Araha)
(FIT as an Action Verb): I am fitting the door lock. (Urdu Meaning: Mai Darwaze Ka Lock Thek Karaha/Karahi Hon)

You can clearly see the difference between State Verbs and Action Verbs in the examples above. (Urdu Meaning: Ap Bht Asani Se 'State Verbs' Orr 'Action Verbs' Mai Farq Dekh Sakte Hen)

Remember that if you want to mention a time duration with State Verbs, you have to use Present Perfect Tense. (Urdu Meaning: Yad Rakhiye Ga K Agar Ap State Verbs K Sath Time Duration Ko Zahir Karna Chahte Hen To Ap Sirf Present Perfect Tense Use Karen)

For example:
  • We have known each other for 3 years. (NOT We are knowing each other for 3 years) (Urdu Meaning: Hum 3 Saal Se Ek Dosre Ko Jante Hen)
  • These poor children have always depended on money raised for charity since 2005. (NOT These poor children have been depending..) (Urdu Meaning: Saal 2005 Se Ye Gareeb Bache Hamesha Kherat K Peson Per Inhisaar Karahe Hen)









These notes have been conceived and prepared  by Sir Shahzad Ahmed.
Contact me: acquiescent.writer@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment